PHM 854 - Leadership & Team-Building for Researchers*
Evaluation of current leadership methods. Models of leadership. Practice of specific skills and development of a plan to increase their influence and extend learning beyond the class. Evaluation of current leadership methods; models of leadership; practice of specific skills and development of a leadership plan.
Experience supervising others and/or participation in workplace teams is strongly suggested.
Not open to students with credit in CMBA 804, CMBA805, CMBA 806, or CMBA 832.
Recommended TextbooksThe Interprofessional Healthcare Team
Donna Weiss, Et al.
Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett, 2014. 224 pp.,
(MSU library on reserve)
Christina Dokter, CHRS, MS, Ph.D., is a seasoned leader in various organizations, including various public health organizations. She serves as President Elect of the National Association of Local Boards of Health, and is the Vice Chair of the Board of Health for Ingham County. She also serves on several other national health organizations and writes about national and global health.
She holds a BS in Political Science, an MS in Education Technology, and a PhD in Adult Learning/ Education Administration, a discipline that involves leadership and organizational change. Having worked both at a medical school as well as a science department, she provides pertinent contexts for the science of leadership and teams. As a certified Human Resources Specialist, she brings a wealth of knowledge about policies pertinent to the workplace; as a seasoned leader in Toastmasters International, she brings a wealth of practical knowledge about leadership and speech delivery. Her research interests include various adult learning contexts including medical education, learning with technology, health education, leadership and organizational change.
- Evaluation of current leadership methods
- Models of leadership and teams
- Practice of specific skills, including thinking and communication skills
- Development of a plan to increase influence and learning beyond the class
- Team development
- Speech delivery
- Communication skills/conflict management
- Challenges to contemporary teams (transdisciplinary, intercultural, generational, and virtual)
- Planning (goals & mission statements; meetings)
- Change management
- Lifelong learning
- MS/Pharmacology & Toxicology
- MS/Integrative Pharmacology
- 730 MSU graduate students
- 731 Lifelong (In-state)
- 732 Lifelong (Out-state)