PHM 487- Current Topics in Pharmacology
Therapeutic drugs for human or veterinary clinical medicine that have generated significant attention in the non scientific news media. Reasons for societal attention, therapeutic breakthroughs, therapeutic needs, drug marketing, and drug regulatory policies.
Topics in past offerings of the course have included:
- The use of hormone replacement in postmenopausal women
- Antibodies as clinically useful drugs
- Performance enhancing drugs: steroids through Adderall
- Vioxx & Celebrex: How to mishandle or survive a potential drug recall
- Thalidomide: A banished drug returns
- Drug shortages: Causes and outcomes
- Rogaine & Viagra: Drugs with different uses than originally intended
- Delalutin: Preventing Miscarriage - How much is it worth?
- SSRIs: Do antidepressant drugs cause suicide?
- Electronic cigarettes: a new way to deliver nicotine
Approval of department required.
Fall / Spring
- 001 (on-campus)