Gregory Fink, Ph.D.
Professor, Pharmacology & Toxicology
Dr. Gregory Fink
B327 Life Sciences
1355 Bogue Street
East Lansing, MI 48824
Fields of Interest: My research concerns the causes of systemic arterial hypertension, a major world-wide risk factor for cardiovascular disease morbidity and mortality.
- 1971 - B.S., Pennsylvania State University
- 1975 - Ph.D., Tulane University
- 1975-1977 - Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Iowa
- 1977-1982 - Assistant Professor, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University
- 1982-1987 - Associate Professor, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University
- 1987-present - Professor, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University
- July-Dec 2003 - Interim Assoc Dean for Research, College of Human Med, Michigan State University
- 2011-2013 - Interim Vice-President for Clinical Research, Michigan State University
Animal models are used to identify physiological mechanisms that contribute to the development of hypertension. The ultimate goal of acquiring this information is to design new pharmacological or genomic strategies for treating human hypertension.
Techniques used include: surgical instrumentation of animals for chronic in vivo measurement of cardiovascular function; long-term radiotelemetric recording of arterial pressure and other physiological variables; chronic drug and hormone administration; assay of neurohormones in blood and other biological fluids; in vivo gene transfer; and in vivo quantification of sympathetic nervous system activity using norepinephrine spillover and other techniques.
Topics of particular interest include: sympathetic nervous system; renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system; endothelin; body fluid regulation; and the role of vascular capacitance and vein function in cardiovascular diseases.
Selected Achievements since 2001
- Chair, American Heart Association Council for High Blood Pressure Research, 2012-2104
- Vice-Chair, American Heart Association Council for High Blood Pressure Research, 2010-2012
- Corcoran Lectureship, Council for High Blood Pressure Research, American Heart Association, 2008
- Outstanding Researcher Award, MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2006
- Golden Apple Award, MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine, Class of 2002
- Outstanding Curricular Contributions Award, MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine Award, 2000
- NIH, Experimental Cardiovascular Sciences Study Section, 1986-1989 (Chairman, 1988-1989)
- American Heart Association, Cardiovascular Review Group, 1985-1989
- High Blood Pressure Council, American Heart Association, Publications Committee (1989-present), Chairman (1990-1993)
- High Blood Pressure Council, American Heart Association, Program Committee (1991-1994)
- American Heart Association of Michigan, Research Fellowship Committee, 1985-1987
- American Heart Association of Michigan, Research Peer Review Committee, 1987-1990 (Chairman, 1988-1990)
- American Heart Association of Michigan, Research Council, 1988-1990 (Chairman, 1989-1990)
- NHLBI, Arteriosclerosis, Hypertension and Lipid Metabolism Advisory Committee, 1992-1995
- NIH, Cardiovascular and Renal Study Section, 1998-2001
- AHA, Cardiorenal Review Group, 2007-2009.
- AHA, Midwest Research Committee 2011-present
- American Journal of Physiology, 1987-present
- American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology (Associate Editor), 1999-present
- Circulation Research, 1987-1992
- Clinical and Experimental Physiology and Pharmacology, 1994-present; North American Field Editor, 2001-2008
- General Pharmacology: The Vascular System, 1999-present
- Hypertension, 1989-present; Associate Editor, 2012-present
- Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 1986-1998
- Specific Field Editor, Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeu¬tics, 1993-1998
- Therapeutic Advances in Cardiovascular Disease, 2007-present
Full list of publications at MSU Scholars
- Targeting the Sympathetic Nervous System: Critical Issues in Patient Selection, Efficacy, and Safety of Renal Denervation. Schlaich MP, Esler MD, Fink GD, Osborn JW, Euler DE. Hypertension. 2013 Dec 9. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available. PMID: 24324047 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher].
- Dominiczak AF, Fink GD. Hypertension. 2014 Jan;63(1):2-3. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.113.02762. Epub 2013 Nov 25. No abstract available. PMID: 24277764 [PubMed - in process].
- Cardiovascular Depression in Rats Exposed to Inhaled Particulate Matter and Ozone: Effects of Diet-Induced Metabolic Syndrome. Wagner JG, Allen K, Yang HY, Nan B, Morishita M, Mukherjee B, Dvonch JT, Spino C, Fink GD, Rajagopalan S, Sun Q, Brook RD, Harkema JR. Environ Health Perspect. 2013 Oct 29. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 24169565 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] Free PMC Article.
- Cyclooxygenase-1 inhibition attenuates angiotensin II-salt hypertension and neurogenic pressor activity in the rat. Asirvatham-Jeyaraj N, King AJ, Northcott CA, Madan S, Fink GD. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013 Nov 15;305(10):H1462-70. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00245.2013. Epub 2013 Sep 6. PMID: 24014677
- Reply from V. A. Averina, H. G. Othmer, G. D. Fink and J. W. Osborn. Averina VA, Othmer HG, Fink GD, Osborn JW. J Physiol. 2013 Jun 1;591(Pt 11):2965. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2013.254607. No abstract available. PMID: 23729798 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]