Susan Barman, Ph.D., FAPS
Professor, Pharmacology & Toxicology
Dr. Susan Barman
B426 Life Sciences
1355 Bogue Street
East Lansing, MI 48824
Fields of Interest: Central neural control of the cardiovascular system; basis for rhythms in sympathetic nerve activity.
- B.S., Biology, Loyola University, Chicago, IL, 1967-1971
- Graduate student Indiana University Medical Center, Department of Physiology, Indianapolis, IN, 1971-1972
- Ph.D., Physiology, Loyola University Medical Center, Department of Physiology, Maywood, IL, 1972-1976 (R.D. Wurster, Advisor)
- Research Associate, Department of Pharmacology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI (G.L. Gebber); 1975-1977
- Instructor, Department of Pharmacology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 1977-1979
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI; 1979-1984
- Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI; 1984-1994
- Associate Professor, Department of Physiology (Joint appointment), Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI; 1986-1988
- Interim Director, Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University; August - December, 1994
- Professor (Tenure 1998), Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 1994-present
- Professor, Department of Physiology (Joint Appointment), Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI; 1997-1998
An elevation in sympathetic nerve activity has long been suspected to be a factor in cardiovascular disease, including hypertension, stroke, and cardiac dysrhythmias. The long term research interest of my laboratory has been to understand the role of the brainstem and central neurotransmitters in setting the pattern (rhythms) in sympathetic nerve activity under various physiological conditions. The work involves recording neural (single and whole nerve) activity and cardiovascular variables (blood pressure, heart rate). The most recent work involves assessing the link between vestibular and autonomic/sympathetic neural circuits in conscious animal models.
- 1971 - B.S. Biology, Loyola University-Chicago
- 1976 Ph.D., Physiology, Loyola University-Chicago
- 1975-77 Research Associate Pharmacology, Michigan State University
- 1977-79 - Instructor Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University
- 1979-84 - Assistant Professor, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University
- 1984-94 - Associate Professor, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University
- 1995-present - Professor, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University
- NIH National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute MERIT Award, 1995 – 2005
- Outstanding University Woman Faculty Award, Faculty Professional Women’s Association of MSU, 2003
- Elected to Council of the American Physiological Society (2005 – 2008)
- College of Human Medicine Distinguished Faculty Award (2009)
- Elected as President of the American Physiological Society (2011 – 2014)
- 2012 Lois T. Ellison Lectureship, selected by Postdoctoral Fellows of the Department of Physiology, Georgia Health Sciences University
- 2014 Distinguished Speaker, 11th Annual Graduate Student Colloquium; Department of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics, Louisiana State University Health Science Center New Orleans
- Fellow of the American Physiological Society (FAPS), elected to inaugural class in 2015
- Distinguished Service Award, Association of Chairs of Departments of Physiology, 2016
- Journal of Physiology Top Reviewer recognition, 2019
- 2019 William S. Beal Outstanding Faculty Award, MSU
- 2019 Carl Ludwig Distinguished Lectureship Award, Neural Control of Autonomic Regulation Section of the American Physiological Society (Experimental Biology 2019)
- 2019 Michigan Physiological Society created the “Barman Cup” to be awarded to winning team of the annual Michigan Physiology Quiz (MiPQ) in honor of my leadership in developing and leading this event
- 2019 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- Editor, Comprehensive Physiology, Autonomic Neurosciences; Wiley Press
- American Journal of Physiology: Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology
- American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology
- Journal of Neurophysiology
- Barrett KE, SM Barman, S Boitano, H Brooks, Ganong’s Review of Medical Physiology, 23rd ed, McGraw-Hill, 2009. (Also translated into French, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, and Turkish editions)
- Barman SM. Section IV: CNS/Neural Physiology (10 chapters). InMedical Physiology: A Systems Approach, Raff H, Levitzky M (eds), McGraw-Hill, In press, 2010.
- Barrett KE, SM Barman, S Boitano, H Brooks. Ganong’s Review of Medical Physiology, 24th ed, McGraw-Hill, 2012.
- Barrett KE, SM Barman, S Boitano, H Brooks. Ganong’s Review of Medical Physiology, 25th ed, McGraw-Hill, 2015.
Online Training Resources
- Barman SM and E Delprie. Research Compliance: An Overview; APS Archives of Teaching Resources (peer-reviewed), powerpoint presentation to familiarize students and educators regarding the oversight of biomedical research, including research on animal and human subjects.
Membership on Professional Organization Committees/Councils (recent)
- Member, Finance Committee American Physiological Society; 2016 – 2019
- Member, Strategic Planning Group for American Physiological Society Women in Physiology; 2015 -2016
- American Physiological Society representative to the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Section on Medical Sciences; 2014 – 2017
- Member, Book Committee of the American Physiological Society; 2014 –
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Comprehensive Physiology; American Physiological Society; 2014 –
- Chair, Beverly Petersen Bishop Neuroscience Award Committee, American Physiological Society; 2014 -
- Chair, Membership and Fundraising Committee of the Michigan Physiological Society, a Chapter of the American Physiological Society (2014 - 2017)
- Chair, Organizing Committee for Inaugural Meeting of the Michigan Physiological Society, a Chapter of the American Physiological Society (2014)
- Member, Board of the General Assembly, International Union of Physiological Sciences; 2014 - 2017
- President, American Physiological Society (April 2011 - April 2014, President-elect through past-President)
- Chair, American Physiological Society Committee on Honors; 2013 – 2104
- Chair, American Physiological Society Nominating Committee; 2013
- Member, Honorary Advisory Committee, International Conference of Physiological Sciences in Suzhou, China; Chinese Association of Physiological Sciences; November 1 – 4, 2012
- Member, Organizing Committee, 1st Pan-American Congress of Physiological Sciences in Iguassu Falls Brazil; August 2 – 6, 2014
- Ex officio Member, American Physiological Society Finance Committee (2011 - 2014)
- Ex officio Member, American Physiological Society Publications Committee (2011 - 2014)
- Ex officio Member, American Physiological Society Science Policy Committee (2011 - 2014)
- Reviewer, American Physiological Society Early Career Advocacy Fellowship (2012 - )
- Member, Local Organizing Committee, National Directors of Graduate Studies Meeting (East Lansing MI; July 7 - 9, 2011)
Membership on Review Panels (recent)
- Member of NIH/NHLBI Review Panel, Program Project Grant Applications (12/11/07; 1/16/13; 10/13/13)
- Reviewer, National Science Foundation (2011)
- Member, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical and Integrative Cardiovascular Sciences Study Section (July 2008 - June 2010)
- Peer Review Panel, National Health & Medical Research Council of Australia's Research Fellowships, Spring 2008
- Ad Hoc Member of NIH Clinical and Integrative Cardiovascular Sciences Study Section (November, 2006; October, 2007)
Advisory Groups for Universities/Institutions/Organizations (recent)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board for Comprehensive Physiology
- Member, Board of the General Assembly, International Union of Physiological Societies; 2014 - 2017
- Member, Joint Managing Board for Physiological Reports, an online journal that is a joint venture of the American Physiological Society and The Physiological Society (UK); 2013 -
- Member, Internal Advisory Committee for a Program Project Grant (PI: Gregory D. Fink), Michigan State University (2013 -
- Member, National Academy of Sciences US National Committee, Delegate to the International Union of Physiological Societies; American Physiological Society Representative (2013)
- External Chair, PhD Defense Committee, University of South Florida April 2010
- External Reviewer, Louisiana Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research, Sponsored by National Science Foundation and the Louisiana Board of Regents (2008)
- External Reference and External Reviewer for selection of University of South Florida Distinguished University Health Professor, 2007
Membership on University Committees (recent)
- Member, University Graduate Professional Judiciary (2014)
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Member, 2005 – 2012: Vice Chair 2007 – 2008; Chair, 2008 - 2011; Immediate past-Chair, 2011 – 2012; ; Chair 2014 – 2017
- University Animal Response Team, Member, 2009 – 2011; 2014 – 2017
- Intramural Research Grant Program (IRGP) Life Sciences Panel, Member 2006, 2007
Membership on College of Human Medicine (CHM) Committees (recent)
- College of Human Medicine (CHM), Shared Discovery Curriculum Middle Clinical Experience Workgroup; 2014 – present
- Block I Directors Group: 2012 – present
- Block II Directors Group: 2013 – present
- Subcommittee on Educational Program (preparatory for Liaison Committee for Medical Education [LCME] accreditation process): 2013 – 2014
- Steering Committee (preparatory for LCME accreditation process): 2013 – 2014
- Chair, Graduate Studies Committee, 2007 - 2009; 2011 – present
- Curriculum Advisory Committee: 2011 – present
- Curriculum Development Group for Neurology Domain: 2010 – present
- Curriculum Development Group for Thought Behavior and Emotion Domain: 2010 – present
- Hearing Body Member, CHM Student Grievance Hearings: 2013 - 2015
Membership on Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology Committees (recent)
- Cardiovascular Search Committee (Affirmative Action Advocate); 2015 –
- Drug Discovery Search Committee (Affirmative Action Advocate); 2013 – 2014
- Faculty Advisory Committee: 1998-2003 [Chair, 1999 – 2003], 2005 – [Chair, 2007 – 2013]
- Department leader for Academic Program Review/Self-Study, 2008
- Seminar Coordinator, 2003 - 2005; 2010 – 2013
- Distinguished Alumnus Nominating Committee, Chair (2004 - present)
- Theodore M Brody Memorial Lectureship Committee, Chair (2008 - present)
- Awards Committee, Chair (2010 – present)
Full list of publications at MSU Scholars
Peer Reviewed Journals (Recent)
- Barman SM and GL Gebber. The posterior vermis of the cerebellum selectively inhibits 10-Hz sympathetic nerve discharge in anesthetized cats. Am J Physiol Regulatory Integrative Comp Physiol 297: R210-217, 2009. (PMCID: PMC2711703)
- Barman SM and HS Orer. Rostral ventrolateral medullary but not medullary lateral tegmental field neurons mediate sympatho-sympathetic reflexes in cats. Am J Physiol Regulatory Integrative Comp Physiol 299: R1269-R1278, 2010. (PMCID: PMC2980449)
- Destifino VJ, Reighard DA, Suguyama Y, Suzuki T, Cotter LA, Larson MG, Gandhi NJ, Barman SM, and Yates BJ. Responses of neurons in the rostral ventrolateral medulla (RVLM) to whole-body rotations: Comparisons in decerebrate and conscious cats.J Appl Physiol110: 1699-1707, 2011. (PMCID: PMC3119137)
- Barman SM, Sugiyama Y, Suzuki T, Cotter L, DeStefino V, Reighard D, Cass S, and Yates BJ. Rhythmic activity of neurons in the rostral ventrolateral medulla of conscious cats: Effect of removal of vestibular inputs.Am J Physiol Regulatory Integrative Comp Physiol; 301: R937–R946, 2011. (PMCID: PMC3197344)
- Darios ES, Barman SM, Orer HS, Morrison SF, Davis RP, Seitz BM, Burnett R, and Watts SW. 5-Hydroxytryptamine does not reduce sympathetic nerve activity or neuroeffector function in the splanchnic circulation. Eur J Pharmacol 754: 140-147, 2015.
- Molina PE, Horwitz B, Carey HV, Barman SM, Barrett KE, Reckelhoff JF. How diversity is becoming a reality in the American Physiological Society. The Physiologist 58: 161-166, 2015.
- Barman SM. What can we learn about neural control of the cardiovascular system by studying rhythms in sympathetic nerve activity? Int J Psychophysiol 103: 69-78, 2016.
- Wehrwein EA, Orer HS, Barman SM. Overview of the anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology of the autonomic nervous system. Compr Physiol 6: 1239-1278, 2016.
- Barman SM. Physiology Quiz Show. The Physiologist 59: 347-348, 2016.
- Hansen BC, Gografe S, Pritt S, Jen KC, McWhirter CA, Barman SM, Comuzzie A, Greene M, McNulty JA, Michele DE, Moaddab N, Nelson RJ, Norris K, Uray KD, Banks R, Westlund KN, Yates BJ, Silverman J, Hansen KD, Redman B, and Cate B. Ensuring due process in the IACUC and animal welfare setting: Considerations in developing noncompliance policies and procedures for Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees and Institutional Officials. FASEB J 31: 4216-4225, 2017.
- VanRyn V, Wehrwein EA, and Barman SM. Michigan Physiological Society introduces an undergraduate Physiology Quiz team competition at their annual meeting. The Physiologist 60: 379-384, 2017.
- Sengupta J, Barman SM. Global Status of Physiology in Research, Education, and Outreach. Physiology 33: 7-9, 2018.
- Barman SM. Renewed excitement for paraventricular neurons and sympathetic nerve activity. J Physiol 596: 4551-4552, 2018.
- Barman SM. 2019 Ludwig Lecture: Rhythms in sympathetic nerve activity are a key to understanding neural control of the cardiovascular system. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol In press, 2019.
- Barman SM and Yates BJ. Deciphering the neural control of sympathetic nerve activity: Status report and directions for future research. Front Neurosci 11:730. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00730
Invited Reviews (Recent)
- Barman SM. Hyped up about the hypothalamus. J Physiol 587: 4129-4130, 2009.
- Barman SM. Sympathetic nerve activity has more character than you may think. J Physiol 587:4767-4768, 2009.